Saturday 19 September 2015

BOOK PROMOTION - DRAGON CHOIR BY BENJAMIN DESCOVICH

Title: Dragon Choir
Author: Benjamin Descovich
Release Date: February 2015

BLURB from Goodreads
When the days stretch and the land bakes, dragons will again scour the sky.

A city of bones and a city of gold plot against each other while the rebellion gathers strength. A young man is caught in a tempest of intrigue that will forge a new era of freedom, or forever scar the land. He must discover the secret of the Dragon Choir to save his father and end the stranglehold of an unforgiven nation.


PURCHASE LINKS


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest novel is Dragon Choir. In summary: Fast paced epic fantasy about a man who sails into a storm of rebellion to find his lost father.
Phew! You have it in nineteen.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
You will be seeing a lot of me in the next couple of years. I’m just getting noticed now and with my schedule of fantasy books, my readers are going to be very happy. My fantasy writing is set on a planet called Oranica, which is discovered in my Sci-fi flash fiction, Seeded.  This short-short story is an intersection for a series of unwritten—yet plotted—sci-fi novels. In my mind all fantasy is actually a sci-fi sub-genre and I like to know how the magic is actually possible. I’ve done a huge amount of world building for my writing and also have an Encyclopedia Oranica on the cards for the die-hard fans who want all the nitty-gritty.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I have a new short story about to be published, The Devil is in the Potato. It is a light-hearted fantasy romp, as you can see by the title. Right now I’m working on a book, the working title is Novice Kettna. This is a story that intersects the beginning of Dragon Choir and is a standalone series. The sequel to Dragon Choir is called Blood Monsoon and is planned for release at the end of 2015.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I sure do. Also, if you love a good fantasy adventure, sign up to my newsletter and I’ll give you a free ebook. Plus you get all the sneak peaks and can get involved with what I’m doing; sort of like being a VIP, but without the lavish lifestyle.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
The factors that create spontaneous public sensations are not all together obvious. It would be very equitable if brilliant writing was a recipe for success, but the New York Times bestseller list has had many an average book hit the top while great books have been passed over by publishing houses. We all know the stories of authors like J.K. Rowling being passed over by agents and publishers. I don’t think these experts have a great idea and neither does any other individual, it is all a bit of guesswork and a lot of money making bets.
My focus is not to create a bestseller. I focus on creating a great story with strong characters, a deep plot and cinematic settings.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I've never had writer's block. Though, I do suffer from procrastinator's wedge. Essentially 'the wedge' has been responsible for me being a great house-husband. There are always chores that need doing and 'the wedge' lodges itself between a good day's productive writing and good day's laundry. Random, not-so-urgent errands in town are a great way to fall behind on my writing schedule. Finishing the next quest, or levelling up on a favourite RPG are also activities where 'the wedge' saps my diligence juice.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
Ebooks have a place alongside print books. One will never replace another. I don’t see the two mediums as dueling titans in pitched battle. I see ebooks as just another option for readers to enjoy good stories. Once upon a time the big publishing houses went through a period of panic and gradual adaption with the advent of paperback books. Unless they were very wealthy, readers could never afford a personal library of hardbacks, let alone a personal copy of anything but a family bible. Paperbacks broadened the market offering cheap books for mass consumption. Ebooks offer cost effective distribution channels, which make it easier for readers to collect a digital library at an affordable price. Ebooks are different to paperbacks in that they offer independent authors a direct link to their readers and bypass both big publishers and bricks and mortar retailers.

What do you think about book trailers?
I’ve never used them, but I think they have their place. Avid readers collect a lot of books in a lifetime and when they move house a book trailer would come in handy.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
The best advice is to dedicate your time to writing. The only thing that makes us writers is that we produce. There is no sure way to succeed, other than by writing. Seems obvious, but there are many people who dream of being writers, yet don’t do much of the writing. Once you’ve written your story, revise it. Revise it again, and again. Polish it until it shines. After this write another, and another, until you are good enough that people find your work, like it and buy it.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Like Bic Staedtler? I guess if I were to write an altogether different kind of fantasy it would be appropriate.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
I’d invite China MiĆ©ville, Ursula Le Guin and Isaac Asimov. (Isaac would relish the opportunity to be brought back to life and imprinted in a cybernetic body.) I think everyone would get along and we’d all be talking about politics, history, science, the environment, and of course writing.

Where can readers follow you?

Website: https://www.benjamindescovich.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dragonchoir


No comments:

Post a Comment