Sunday 24 June 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - HEATHER TOPHAM WOOD





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Heather Topham Wood and I was born in Long Branch, New Jersey, but now reside in Hamilton, NJ.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I think in the back of my head I always wanted to be a writer, but never actually considered it a realistic dream. I’ve been writing stories for as long as I could remember, but it’s not until recently that I’ve actually decided that this is what I want to do with my life. Hence, the million major changes I made in college (nursing, education, journalism, etc.)

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?

For the past five years, I’ve taken on small scale and large scale freelance writing projects. I’ve done magazine work and web writing. A few publications I’ve been in include “USA Today,” “Step in Style” magazine, Livestrong.com and Gadgetell.com.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?

First Visions: Second Sight Book One is about a psychic who is coerced into helping out on a kidnapping case while dealing with a complicated love life.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

This is the first book in the series, but I also think works as a standalone novel. I’ve worked out the complete next book in my head and written out the outline. Now translating that to paper is a whole different story…

What genre would you place your books into?

It would be categorized as Upper YA or New Adult Paranormal Romance.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I feel like the New Adult genre has been majorly overlooked by the publishing industry. It’s very difficult to find novels that deal with the issues facing the 18 to 22 set. I remember in college always having to read books about teens in high school or main characters that were facing “real world” issues like jobs, marriages, children, etc. 

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

I have such a hard time with titling! After writing a book, I have a tendency to break out the thesaurus and look up a ton of words to help me decide on the title.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?

I’m such a huge fan of ebooks that I don’t know what we did without them before.
I love how you’re able to sample a book now before buying it. It definitely saves you from purchasing a book that you just can’t get into.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)

I just started “The Selection” by Kiera Cass. I’ve been hearing a ton of buzz on this book, so I just downloaded it onto my Kindle. Enjoying it so far, but I’ve only read the first few chapters.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?

Although I was terrified of scary movies, I started reading horror novels in middle school. My faves were Christopher Pike, RL Stine and LJ Smith.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?

Be true to your work while still listening to the advice of editors. Although you may have a “vision” for your book, most editors only make story suggestions because they know what sells.


Your Goodreads author page?

Your Twitter details?
http://twitter.com/woodtop255

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sandra for letting me stop by your blog!

    ReplyDelete