Sunday 8 April 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ADRIAN L HAWKES





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 

Adrian Hawkes, Born in Birmingham UK Now live in North London UK 

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? 
No, never really thought about it, but I did a serious of lecture on Leadership and my Brother in law said why don’t you put it in a book so I did. That one has sold over 12,000 and is on its third print. 

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"? 
I’m not really sure that I do. Though this sixth book I wanted to see if I could write a fiction story, others must decide if I have succeeded well enough. 

Did it take a long time to get your first book published? 
First one I printed myself, then after it sold the first 6,000 I went to a publisher who agreed a re print of a further 6,000 if I would buy 2,000 copies which I did, now as I have said its on its 3rd reprint. 

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
Yes I do lots of things, I am a director of a couple of companies, mainly in the Care sector, but one of them has an educational bias for those who have been missed by the system. Also one is property because we need the property for the care companies. I also work with leadership teams, mainly in a sort of consultancy roll and mainly with churches that is in the UK Europe Africa and Asia. 

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 
ICEJACKED My first fiction book. Its a book about a man born 2,000 years ago, dug up from an Ice block and still alive, what does he make of the modern world. 

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish? 
Universe, it’s a self publishing company, but they give a lot of input. 

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 
I reckon a good year to 18 months 

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others? 
The last one, because writing fiction is very different to writing something factual 

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 

I am very tempted to do a follow on from my first fiction book. Lots of comment about where he, the main character goes next 

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
 
My Brother in Law after my lectures on Leadership 

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 

I tend to outline the chapters, and then discipline myself to at least a couple of hours a week.
 
Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know? 
I work with an editing company called Technicolour text. 

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
Occasionally yes 

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 

Not sure I have found some on the net in the most odd places and other languages such as Norwegian and in Indian sites. 

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had? 
Most seem to be quite nice, one review said they would not put up the review because they didn’t like a book, it wasn’t my latest, I read the review, and although they were a little negative, and I did not necessarily agree with everything, I said please publish it it your view, there are other views I think an occasionally negative is a help.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
No. 

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books? 
The Publisher, with a little suggestion from me and Technicolour text, though that is an area that I am not good at, and I never find anyone ever agrees, so I pass the first proof around my office some love it some hate it and there never seems a consensus view. 

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? 
Write the book and then choose the title. 

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along? 
As I go along and I find they take on a life of their own. 

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story? 
I tend to have an idea, outline chapters, and then change them as I go along.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..") 
Yes 

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them? 
Chris Cleave who wrote the Other hand, very interesting.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name? 
I haven’t but I might.

If you could invite up to three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with? 

C.S. Lewis. 


Where can readers follow you? 
Your blog details? www.adrianhawke.blogspot.com 
Your web site ? www.adrianhawkes.co.uk 
Your facebook page? 
http://www.facebook.com/adrian.hawkes1 
Your Goodreads author page? 
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/160...
Your Twitter details? Adrian Hawkes@Adrian2526 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment