Wednesday 25 January 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CORAL MOORE



Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I’ve always wanted to create in some capacity, although I wouldn’t say I’ve always thought I would end up as a writer. I bounced around between lots of different paths. At one time or another I’ve wanted to be an architect, a veterinarian, a dancer, a farmer, an artist, and a computer programmer. That is by no means a comprehensive list.

How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing as a hobby since I was in high school, almost twenty years now. In general, my inspiration is that I love making up characters and figuring out how they would behave in different situations.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I’ve loved to read since I was a child. I was making up stories pretty early as well, although I can’t remember when it first started for certain. About two years ago, I decided I wanted to pursue a career as a writer, and now I have released one book with two to three more set to come out in 2012.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is called Broods of Fenrir. 20 words is quite the challenge. Here we go:
Brand fights to protect those he loves from the brutality of the werewolf society he detests.
Phew. Four to spare, do I get extra points? :)

What genre would you place your books into?
Broods of Fenrir specifically is an Urban Fantasy. Several readers have said it also fits into Paranormal Romance, so I try to use both of those.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
There’s a very broad category of books called speculative fiction which includes fantasy, science fiction, and horror. That’s where I feel most at home and all of my work will probably end up under that umbrella, although I do like to blend with genres that don’t necessarily fit there. For example, I’m writing a science fiction heist story right now.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Originally I had planned this book to be a standalone, but at the end of last year I got an idea for a good storyline for another book that takes place right after Broods ends. The first draft is not yet completed, but I’m hoping the next one would be out sometime in the summer.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I do, and I try to take something away from each one to help me improve my writing in the future.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
I recently got a review from Smexy Books Romance Reviews that was simultaneously both of those. Tori gave Broods a C+, which as an A student did make me cringe, but she praised my character depth and the world I created. She brought up aspects of the book she didn’t like so much, and went over what she liked in just as much detail. She wrapped it up by saying she looks forward to reading more from me, which is the ultimate compliment as far as I’m concerned.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
All of the credit for my gorgeous cover goes to Amanda Kelsey at Razzle Dazzle Design. She took a very basic idea from me and turned it into a work of art. She’s my hero.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Never. I value the opinion of all my readers, even the ones who may not have thought my book was their favorite. There are books that I love that other people hate, and the other way around. Both opinions are equally valid. No, my book isn’t for everyone. I don’t expect it to be.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
Ideas come at me from everywhere. I like to say that I draw inspiration from the world around me. As hokey as that sounds, it’s absolutely true. A strangely shaped pile of snow inspired one story of mine.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I really like what I’ve seen from Lauren Destefano so far. She writes Dystopian YA. She creates a vivid and detailed world that is horrifying, but her characters give the reader a sense of hope that is very powerful.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I have a few and I rotate them a lot. Right now I’m pretty taken with crochet. I like it because I can do it while listening to audiobooks so I get to do two things I enjoy at the same time!

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Right now I’m reading Sins of the Demon by Diana Rowland in eBook. Yes, I love her books. She knows how to tell a great story. The main character is a cop/demon summoner who’s sassy and smart. Good dialog and lots of action.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Keep writing, and don’t give up.

Your blog details? 
http://www.chaosandinsanity.com/

Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCoralMoore

Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5341919.Coral_Moore

Your Twitter details? http://www.twitter.com/coralm

Thankyou for taking the time to take part in this Interview!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeanz!

    Thanks for having me on your blog for an interview. I loved your questions.

    ReplyDelete