Sunday 13 November 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - WANITA MAY






 Name and where were you born.


Wanita May – born and raised in the same city I now  – the fruitbelt of Ontario – St.Catharines. 




Did I always want to be a writer? 


 When I was young, I wanted to be a writer – I used to write stories on an old typewriter we had (where I used to have to rewind the rink ribbon since we only had like one J )  Then I jumped into the world of Track and Field and focussed on Highjump while I was in high school.  As I started university, I didn’t really see a future as a writer being in my plans.  When my father passed away,  one of the last things we talked about was focussing on the future and chasing after our dreams – since life passes us by in the blink of an eye.  So, I started writing a few months after he passed… and here I am!
               
Did it take you a long time to get your first book published?
This is the strange part of writing.  I knew nothing about the process of getting processed.  I’d written a story and started querying it out.  It got interest right away and I signed with an agent – Dawn Dowdle from the BlueRidge Agency.  She was interested in both the MS’s I’d written.  We spent a few months revising, then it (Rae of Hope) went off to publishers.  There was keen interest, but it needed a bit more work and after a large publishing co. gave some fantastic suggestions, we followed with them and then Jan 1 of this year, I signed the contract!  A few months later, the contract turned into a four book series contract.  I was over the moon.  It went so fast in my opinion J

Do you work another job as well as your writing?
                I do.  My husband and I run out our online business.  We deal in vintage jewelry and also porcelain.  Our website: www.wadeincanada.com

 Who is your publisher?
         Mitchell Morris Publishing. 
         I have no problem with people who go the indie publishing route.  Personally, I didn’t want to go that route. I felt I needed a publisher as I didn’t know enough about the writing/publishing world.  I’m very glad I went this route,  I’ve learned so much.

Do you have plans for a new book?
                I’ve finished the second book in the series and have written the outline for book three.  I am also working on edits with my  agent for another series AND am working on finished another WIP.  Most of my writing is YA Fantasty .  I love to read it, so it feels easy to write J

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
                YES!  It’s the least I can do for someone willing to read my stuff J  I liked throwing in stuff for competitions on the blogs, etc… as well.  Who doesn’t like to win free stuff?!

Do you read all the reviews of your book?
                I have so far.  At least, I hope I’ve caught them all.  I love hearing what people have to say about what I write.  So far, the results have been very positive.  I also want to know if there is stuff that people don’t like.  It’ll help teach me what to do for the next go round J 

 Are there hidden messages or morals contained in your books?
                Of course J  Why else would we write J  I really enjoy showing morals (good vs evil) and hidden things to figure out.  I’m a HUGE fan of foreshadowing as well. 

What book format do you prefer – ebook, hardback, paperback.
                I’m slightly old-school.  Paperback.  No questions – there is something about holding a book in your hand to read.  I like hardbacks, but I tend to read in bed so it’s easier to hold a paperback (and kinda like the larger print ones – always have.)  I also own a kindle – and enjoy reading from it, but I like having the ability to flip back and find foreshadowing, or a character I don’t remember or a clue, etc…

What do you think about book trailers?
                If they are done well, I think they are great.  I’m a big movie fan (and love books to movies – though I always believe the book is better). I think that a book trailer is a great little way to give hints of the book, and pull the reader in. 
                However, I do have a hard time with trailers that are too long, too wordy and sometimes too many still pictures.  I’m no expert so I really shouldn’t sound like I’m judging. It’s simply what I like to see.  I made my own – made one originally and then 3 mths before Rae of Hope’s book release, did another that was way better.  I learn as I go (and am still learning).

What piece of advice would you give a new writer?
                Write, write, write.  Write what you love to read or watch. Give it your own twist and uniqueness.  Joining a crit group is a must. There is so much to learn, even when you think you know everything.  I joined Critique Circle (www.critiquecircle.com). It was awesome.
                If you are serious, and can afford and find one – go to a writer’s conference.  Another great place to learn so much and meet contacts.
                Have fun and write because you enjoy it, not because you want to get published.

Where can readers follow you?
Facebook: Wanita May (author page there as well)
Twitter: @wanitajump
Rae of Hope, the first book in the Chronicles of Kerrigan is out in ebook, and officially out in print Nov 15, can be found on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc…
Link to my book trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauHkcm6UQo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview Jeanz!
    Very much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete