Friday 28 October 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ISIAH HURTS







What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I’m working on another poetry book I’m planning on releasing in 2013. I’m also getting ready to start work on my second.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I been writing every since 15. My teacher made me write a poem for a class assignment. I knew I had a gift for writing, but it wasn’t until after I won an award for my poem life. That I knew I had a gift. I was inspired to starting writing full time after I won a couple award for poems I have written.

What genre would you place your books into?
I’m going to have to say poetry and self-help cause a lot of my poems have messages in them, that we all can learn from.

Where do you get your book ideas from?
I get my ideas from things that I am inspired about, or feel empowered about. Such as social issue. A lot of the ideas usually comes to me. Whenever I thinking or have a lot on my mind.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I usually don’t suffered from writer block cause I usually write when ideas, and thoughts starts coming to me. I don’t like my poems to feel rushed. So I just let it come to me.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
I would have to say Maya Angelou is one person I’m influenced by coming on she’s a legend. But the person who has the biggest influence on me. Is Lady GaGa and Ashanti. I like Ashanti cause she has the ability to go deeper then what most poets are willing to go, and she follows her own rules when it comes to writing poetry. And don’t follow the rules that most poets. Which she got a lot of flack for when she wrote a poetry book. But her writing reflections more on emotion then story telling. And that something I want to carry on in my writing

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books
? No. There are always people who are going to like the touch, smell and fell of the book. And theirs always going to be somebody who is not tech savvy. Their always are going to be people who like to search for new authors on the book shelf.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Poet Michael J. Burt. I think he is very gifted . I think he got a lot more in stores for us, he's very creative and ahead of his time. Hannah Faye the author who wrote a rappers college. Yes I love that book.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
When it comes to my first book. I think I probably would have stuck to my own writing style instead of trying to be Maya Angelou. I was 18 and it was my first book and I was writing the type of poems my peers was encourage me to write, but hey it was a learning experience. That’s why I stuck to my guns on this book.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Be original find your own style. You really have to love writing in order to stay in this game. You have to be consistent with your book promotion. You have to really believe in your talent. Think about the message you are trying to get across with your book. Connecting with other authors is very important. Learn from others. Read! Read! Read! It surprises me how many authors don’t really read that much. Reading perfects your writing talent. It keeps the creative juices flowing. Read in various genres as well. And lastly, always keep perfecting your craft.

Where can readers follow you?

Your web site ? www.isiahhurts.webs.com
Your Goodreads author page? Goodreads.com/isiahhurts
Your Twitter details? 
www.twitter.com/isiahhurts

No comments:

Post a Comment