Thursday 20 October 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CRICKET WEBBER





When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?

I first considered myself a "writer" when someone actually paid me for putting words together. I'd always wanted to be a writer, but that desire had fallen by the wayside. I'd never really considered writing non-fiction, but it was a way to pay the bills and it reminded me how much I loved writing.



Did it take a long time to get your first book published?


Yes and no. It took me a long time to realize that I could put a book together, but once I had the idea and gave myself permission to enjoy the process, it did not take long at all. I self-published, too, and that is a different ball of wax. If I had gone through a traditional publication process, I'd still be waiting to see my book published.



How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

That really varies for me. "Tracking Your Headache & Migraine Triggers" came together very quickly, with only a week or two of writing and formatting. I'm working on another book now about alternative methods for headache and migraine treatments and that has been a process of several months, and I'm still not near the finish line. My fiction is the same way; some pieces flow quickly, while others take insane amounts of time.



What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I'm planning to have several more non-fiction offerings within the next year, and I'm working on some fiction as well. I find the non-fiction to be a little more personally rewarding, however, since it feels more like I'm giving people information they can actually use.



Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?

I have, and found it to be really helpful. In addition to finding typos, "beta readers" can really help a writer determine if something is working well or not at all. It's a great way to fix problems before turning a work loose on an unsuspecting public. 



Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?

I love every form of book I can lay my hands on. I did not expect to like ebooks, but as I allowed myself to get used to them, I gradually began to prefer them. I still love to hold a book in my hands, but I really adore that I can carry my Kindle and 400 books around with me. My husband loves that there are no longer five different books at a time piled up somewhere to ambush him.



Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?

I think it would be very sad if ebooks totally replaced printed books, but the publishing industry really needs to fix the things within it that are broken if they do not want to become obsolete. There will always be a place for printed books, but ebooks are popular for very good reasons.



What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?

Write, write, write. Don't think about it too much, or you can psych yourself out. There is a time for writing, and then there is a time for editing. Don't edit yourself as you write or the work will never be complete.



Where can readers follow you?


Readers can find me at my blog or at the Headaches & Migraines site at BellaOnline. You can also find me on Goodreads and Twitter.

Thanks so much for taking the time to ask such great questions, this was a lot of fun!


If for some reason the links don't work properly, here they are in order:

http://inkstainedwriter.com
http://headaches.bellaonline.com
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4933590.Cricket_Webber
http://twitter.com/#!/CricketWebber





Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to do this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment