Sunday 4 September 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MEGAN CREWE




1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 

Megan Crewe, and I was born in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) where I still live. :) 

2. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say? 

My newest book is THE WAY WE FALL, a YA contemporary dystopian: Teenage girl struggles to protect her loved ones when her community is quarantined after the outbreak of a deadly virus. 

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 

THE WAY WE FALL is the first in a trilogy--book 2 is already written and I'll be starting book 3 soon. I also have a couple of stand-alone projects on the go, but I can't say much about those yet. 

4. How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write? 

I've been making up stories for as long as I can remember! Before I knew how to print, my mom would write them down for me and then I'd illustrate them. I started to think of it as something I might want to pursue seriously, as a career, toward the end of elementary school. I don't recall that there was a specific person or thing that inspired me to write--I just always loved stories, and I wanted to come up with my own. It definitely helped that my parents are both avid readers and read to me from when I was very young. 

5. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 

I have lifted character traits, bits of description, and minor plot points for actual people and events--I think drawing on real life for details here and there can add realism to fiction. But I avoid writing anything that's too close to a real person or situation, because that can make it harder for me to do what's best for the story (I risk getting too hung up on what's real) and it could potentially offend people involved. 

6. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback? 

In a lot of ways, I prefer paperbacks. I like the feel of an actual book and turning actual pages, and seeing them on my bookshelves. And paperbacks are less expensive than hardcovers (so I can buy more!) and lighter, so I can carry them around with me more easily. That said, I'm starting to warm up to ebooks. I've had an iPad for a little over a year, and it is incredibly convenient to be able to read a book off of it instead of carrying both it and a separate book. I can "pack" a dozen novels when I go on vacation without them taking up any space! 

7. Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer? 

I think books can transfer well to movies, but I don't see it happen often. It's got to be hard--the techniques of storytelling you use in written prose aren't going to translate directly into the visuals and audio of a movie--and filmmakers frequently seem to focus on the flashy parts of the story rather than the elements that drew readers in (which are often quieter). 

My favorite adaptation is probably WATERSHIP DOWN. The movie does an amazing job of condensing some of the action without losing any of the important bits, and I find it captures the feeling of the book really well. Worst, I couldn't really say--I avoid book-to-movie adaptations if I've already read and liked the book unless they're highly recommended. 

8. What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 

I'm about to start CORDELIA'S HONOR by Lois McMaster Bujold, which I have in paperback. Since I haven't started yet, I don't know if I'll enjoy it, but I have enjoyed all the other books by Bujold that I've read! 

9. Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish? 

I've tried to read THE LORD OF THE RINGS twice and both times failed to get more than about a hundred pages in. It makes me a little sad, because it's such a classic, and I love THE HOBBIT. But there's a point where the action and tension just grinds to a halt, and with hundreds of pages ahead of me, I just can't motivate myself to keep reading. 

10. What do you think about book trailers? 

I think they're a lot of fun and a great tool for raising awareness about a book if done right. I've decided to buy books because of trailers before. I'd like to see more with good production values and tighter editing. 

11. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer? 

Be patient and keep at it. It takes many writers at least a few "practice novels" before they're writing publishable material. Even once you're writing at a publishable level, it can be a while before you hit on the right idea at the right time. The best thing to do is to work at it and learn everything you can about the craft and the industry, and then when your opportunity comes, you'll be ready. 


Where can readers follow you? 

Your blog details? www.megancrewe.com/blog 
Your web site ? www.megancrewe.com 
Your facebook page? facebook.com/megan.crewe 
Your Goodreads author page? www.goodreads.com/author/show/2839407.Me...
Your Twitter details? twitter.com/megancrewe






The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe is due out on 24/01/12

No comments:

Post a Comment